Hi Edwin,

On Saturday 22 October 2011 00:36:14 Edwin Aponte wrote:
> libv4l2 is giving having problems with a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000
> webcam (045e:00f8). I have to run skype as below to get the webcam
> working well for a moment, though an error is generated, until the
> system freezes completely after some minutes and even SysRq doesn't
> work.

Those two problems are likely unrelated, and the second one is pretty bad. Is
your machine connected to a network ? Can you still ping it after it freezes ?
What about ssh ?

> env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
> libv4l2: error converting / decoding frame data: v4l-convert: error
> parsing
> JPEG header: Not a JPG file ?

Your camera seems to produce bad MJPEG frames. From the log you've attached it
seems that the first frame is bigger than the next ones. This might be
related. Could you try luvcview, which doesn't use libv4l ?

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart