From: Dianne Skoll <dia...@skoll.ca>
Sent: 08 August 2023 11:59
To: Linux-Ottawa <linux@linux-ottawa.org>
Subject: Re: [linux] canadian news funding, maybe a free open source news
aggregator app as part of a funding model solution?

Attention : courriel externe | external email

WARNING:  This post will contain NSFW language.  Do not read further
if that bothers you. :)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 02:17:05 -0400
Michael Goguen <michael.gog...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > 2/ could opt in to pay a small fee for 'enhanced' library news
> > access, whereby people can select to some extent where they prefer
> > some of that fee to go, which media outlets, and maybe track usage,
> > maybe especially to help out smaller media with some consistent
> > income...

Here's the problem.  Google and Facebook and other tech giants have
conditioned us to receive content "for free" by hiding the *actual* costs,
namely: Loss of privacy, massive data collection, and scorched-earth policies
to destroy businesses that used to charge for content.  You can't compete
with "free".

So now that they've gone and destroyed journalism, Facebook and Google
can do whatever they want.  They have truly fucked us over.

Don't think it will end there.  AI will mean virtually the end of jobs
for actors, writers, animators and other creative jobs.  We always assumed
automation would eliminate dull and repetitive jobs, but actually it's
coming for creative jobs.  The hardest jobs to automate, ironically, are
the low-end ones like garment work, cooking, etc.

Greed has enshittified the Internet and allowed tech giants to become more
powerful than nation-states.  Without breaking up tech giants and severely
regulating their actions, we're all royally fucked.

I'm very pessimistic about the future and really glad I'm an older person
no longer working in tech, and not a young person starting out. :(

Well, have a nice day, everyone. :)

Regards,

Dianne.

To get help send a blank message to linux+h...@linux-ottawa.org