Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I shall try them and reply if anything
works. Might take a while though  - remote access is often tedious.

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
 > Can he log in from ubuntu from some other machine?

He has only one machine.

Harsh Busa wrote:
 > if you can try to use a live cd of ubuntu or some other linux
 > based flavor you might be able to find some headway.

Yes, I'll try that. Unfortunately, I very strongly suspect
it'll work on the Live CD & that won't tell me anything then. :-)

Raj Mathur wrote:
 > See if turning ECN off helps:
 > You could also play around with /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies

Since I've never tried that, it sounds like a good possibility, thanks. :-)

Rony wrote:
 > Has he added a wireless router to his ADSL modem?

Nope, just a direct, single ethernet cable to the modem.

scrapo wrote:
 > I do not know what other sites you have tried, but facebook
 > has an exceptionally high amount of Javascript, ......

Ah but if that was the problem, other browsers should work. And I did
clean out cookies & cache to make sure. As I said, the problem is in
all installed browsers. And the sites used to work fine till last week.

Chirag Wazir
http://chirag.freeshell.org