Hi all,

In reply to my letter, SSC/HSC board had assured to implement the open source policy in School Education. (Letter dated 19-05-2016) They only put footnotes in Syllabus that "open source software can be used in the ICT". Of course convincing Schools and Jr Colleges to adopt FOSS on the basis of this letter and footnotes would not have been possible. So I called it as "Symbolic Exit of Microsoft".

But I am too happy to inform you that on 1 July 2016 a proper circular was released which instructs schools and Jr colleges to prefer FOSS in clear words. I came to know about it through an HT article (Thanks to Dr Kamath, and to Prof Tayyab Ali for pointing out this article). Consequently "Maharashtra Times"
published another one.

I suppose this clears the most important hurdle in proliferation of FOSS.

Its great that we have started the monthly meetings at right time. In the first meeting, we talked about visiting Schools and Colleges. With this circular in hand Schools, Students and Parents are little more likely to adopt FOSS. Also students can now participate in our FOSS Projects (we have planned this in first meeting) without dilemma as there will be no proprietary names in Text Books and in question paper.

I am thankful to all members of this group and especially old members for keeping us all connected for such a long time
and for always encouraging new members like me.

I take this opportunity to congratulate State Board for taking this decision in favor of FOSS.

Links for two news paper articles and the circular :

http://www.mediafire.com/view/4nqamkqxy2ps03i/HT-1-5-17.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/f4nhepll68s8fyy/MATA-2-5-17.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6410kf396tkuyl/Board_Circular_-_1_July_2016.pdf

Thanks and Regards
Milind
Forwarding the old relevant thread for reference.