On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:58:07PM +0100, dbrign...@audioscience.com wrote:
> From: Delio Brignoli <dbrign...@audioscience.com>
>
> Peer delay should never be negative, when it occurs
> warn the user and drop it.

I don't think it is right to drop such measurements. If the clocks are
far enough apart in frequency and the response turn around time long
enough, then the value can be negative. Although a negative delay is
intuitively wrong, still the value reflects the true frequency offset
between the peers, and using the value will help to syntonize the
slave to the master.

Even in the gPTP case where you do not tune the clock, still I would
expect that you need the actual peer delay measurement (even when
negative) in order to calculate the true offset from master.

[ Originally I had the same check on the path delay, but I later
  decided that not including the negative measurements can hurt the
  servo or even prevent its operation altogether. I did leave a
  warning message, but since this occurs so often in practice, the
  messages became annoying and were downgraded in debug messages. See
  clock_path_delay() in clock.c. ]

Thanks,
Richard