On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 09:32:39AM +0100, Kieran Tyrrell wrote:
> Should the ptp capabilities (in the igb case) state the number of
> alarms as 2? (even though only one can be enabled at a time, and in
> fact you can create hundreds of posix timers off a single hardware
> alarm?

Looking back, it is unfortunate that the ptp_clock_caps.n_alarm field
is named like that.  We only need one bit to tell the user that a
driver supports timers.

In addition to that, there should some indication of the number of
interrupt sources (i210 has 2) and their connection to the timer,
periodic output, and pps features, if any.  Something like
PTP_PIN_GETFUNC/_SETFUNC.

> Just want to get it straight with you before I start coding, thanks!

I haven't given it much thought, and I am open to creative
suggestions.  My only requirement is that the user will be able to
query the capabilities and dial what he wants.  For the other features
we advertise the number of feature channels and the number of pins.
The user decides which channel to use on each pin.  If there are fewer
pins than channels, then it is clear that he can't have everything at
once.

For now, if you would rather concentrate on the actual timer code,
just set i210's caps to n_alarm=1 and n_per_out=1 and leave the rest
as a todo.

Thanks,
Richard