On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:46:14PM +0100, Kieran Tyrrell wrote:
> I wouldn’t be comfortable removing one of the periodic outputs from
> igb in case anyone is using both.

I only meant doing this for testing purposes.

> I’ve added an ioctl to enable/disable the timer functionality on
> either of the two channels (TT0/TT1). Of course you can only set it
> on one at a time.

For testing this is ok, but in the end we will need a proper
interface, like the PTP_PIN_SETFUNC ioctl.

> We now have the situation though that timer_create() will
> succeed, but timer_settime() can fail, as the PTP subsystem isn’t
> allocating the hardware timer any more, the user is.

I don't see why timer_create() cannot simply check whether an
interrupt channel is available, and if not, return an error.

> Also the user could now disable the hardware timer while posix
> timers are created and active, leaving them hanging.

Let the timer_create() call lock the interrupt channel, preventing
re-assignment until all timers have gone away.

Thanks,
Richard