Not sure about ILA-R but typically when deploying LISP, RTR/Proxy-ITRs have
enough memory to store most, if not all, of the identity to location mappings.
Therefore, once in steady state, most of the requests to the mapping system are
triggered by edge devices ITR/ILA-N.

This then means that just rate limiting ITRs should be enough to avoid DOS-ing
the control plane and the problem converts into one of trying to avoid
providing sub-optimal paths to legitimate traffic due to attacker pressure. As
Alberto mentioned, there are a number of solutions to determining both the
attackers and the destinations set that should be protected against cache
evictions. The former can be used to determine the set of requests that should
not be punted, while the latter ensures that mappings for popular destinations
cannot be evicted by attacks.

Florin