If you speak only about WAN and LAN, yes, but if you have other interfaces interested all changes.

You could enable a service on the OPT1, available to all existing interfaces. So in this case, floating rule would permit any 'OUT' connection to that service offered inside OPT1.

This permit you to avoid adding an incoming rule for every existing interface.

Tonino

Il 15/12/2011 15:50, Seb ha scritto:
...or the WAN interface and 'out'? Is that not the same as LAN interface and 'in'? And if you are selecting all interfaces, then surely the direction would have no effect? Because it would either match on the LAN side, or the WAN side... Or am I just not getting what 'out' rules are for?

Kind regards,

Seb

    *From:* list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org
    [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org] *On Behalf Of *Fuchs,
    Martin martin.fuchs-at-trendchiller.com |pfSense/Allow + Forward
    to Syntec|
    *Sent:* 15 December 2011 13:30
    *To:* s...@syntec.co.uk; pfSense support and discussion
    *Subject:* Re: [pfSense] 'direction' of firewall rules for
    floating rules?

    Hi !

    Yes, the direction has some relevance for the floating rules,
    because when the direction  is wrong, the packets will not pass
    the firewall...

    When you want to allow a packet to pass the firewall from the LAN
    side to the WAN side you have to select the LAN interface and as
    direction you have to select "in" (from the view of the firewall)

    Regards,

    martin