I did have some issues related to running pfSense off of flash memory on
certain motherboards (Jetway NF96-525-FL). It was some off compatibility
quirk, the same flash memory worked just fine on another board, and that
board was perfectly happy with an old hard drive on the same exact IDE
channel. But this was not a case of just a warning log message, on 1.3 it
would lock up the firewall once every few days, on 2 it would only boot
maybe 1/4 of the time. But if you are currently using a CF card
successfully, hopefully a new one will continue to work just fine.