> My CF card is getting to be a few years old now, and I really should
> have a backup ready to go. I really hate slow IO in any machine, and I
> don't like long drawn-out firmware updates (especially since I'm usually
> up at 4 am doing them).
> With that in mind, can anybody recommend a CF card with good write speed
> and good reliability? I'm not interested in paying $100, as this is an
> itx machine and for that money I could just jump to an SSD. My favourite
> vendor has a good selection of Kingston, but I really don't like that
> brand for anything other than RAM.
> If anybody knows of something decent under $40, I welcome your
> recommendation. Thanks.

Obviously, it depends what size you want.  To stay under CAD100, you're
looking at 8GB cards or smaller.
In the 8GB range, you have
        SanDisk Ultra II 8GB 200x (30MB/sec), ~CAD40
        Lexar Platinum II 8GB 200x (30MB/sec), ~CAD40
        Transcend 32GB 133x (20MB/sec), ~CAD60  [*Future Shop (and possibly
Best
Buy) only]

The next jump up in either capacity or performance puts you into the
CAD100 range.

-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net