On 6 Nov 2012, at 19:24, David Burgess <apt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> With that in mind, can anybody recommend a CF card with good write speed and
> good reliability?

We've used a mix of Sandisk, Transcend and Kingston cards over the years. Of
those:
  - nearly all the Kingston cards have failed sooner or later - some after just
a few months, some after several years
  - we've only had 1 Transcend card fail (out of a few dozen)
  - none of the Sandisk cards have failed

It's difficult to give an accurate view regarding speed, as many of the cards
in our sample have been bought over several years, and CF cards have tended to
get faster in recent years (so comparing a 5 year old Sandisk with a brand new
Transcend isn't really fair).

I will say that Sandisk cards are much 'truer' to their rated speed than the
other two. I did some tests a few months ago (admittedly for photography rather
than pfSense) and I found that the Transcend and Duracell "600x" cards were
less than half their rated speeds.

On the other hand, Transcend cards are usually available for less than 10 GBP,
which if you're ordering lots of them, is a consideration.

Kind regards,

Chris