On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Jim Thompson <j...@netgate.com> wrote:

> > Is there any mechanism to insert ciphers into Pfsense that are not
> currently supported?
>
> You have the source code.
>
> I, for one, am uninterested in non standards-compliant (and thus
> interoperable) implementations.

I personally choose the ciphers that are "hardware" optimized, since my
low-end home router (ALIX) gets me faster vpn performance when I do, and I
transfer files to/from office all the time. So if the GUI recommends XYZ
because it is hardware accelerated, I choose it.

That said, a lot of the panic-driven-secure-your-web-sites-against-the-NSA
instructions recommend enabling ciphers that use ephemeral session keys.
The OpenSSL included in pfSense 2.1 supports many of these. Type this
"/usr/local/bin/openssl ciphers" to see them all. The ones that end with
"E" in the first component are the ones with the ephemeral key-. Now, how
to convince the GUI to make use of these for IPsec or OpenVPN I do not
know. I'm sure you can do it via direct config file tweakage, though. I
think IPsec renegotiates keys every 60 minutes anyway, so they'd have to do
a lot of key breaking to snoop your data, unless they could predict your
keys or sneak a MitM attack on you.

To list the "strong" ciphers only, use this: /usr/local/bin/openssl ciphers
"TLSv1.2:-MD5:-RC4:-aNULL:-MED:-LOW:-EXP:-NULL"