Hello,
>>Jason M. wrote:
>>I'm using the PFW201 hardware from Tranquilnet
>
> According to Tranquilnet:
>
> " *Note: These units may run hot to the touch and we recommend eith a wall
> mount or to place them on a cool, dry and hard surface with proper air
> flow"
>
> I can build systems that are much faster and more powerful for less than
> half the price so I've never used a PFW201, but I have seen it mentioned
> that units like them often have a cpu heat sink that makes contact with
> the
> case. Or, that they have a metal shim that connects the heat sink to the
> case.
>
> Heat transfer for these systems is often critical. Is yours overheating?
> Are
> you testing with one of the Tranquilnet units, or one of the units you got
> direct from the supplier?

One, the problem first appeared with the Tranquilnet unit. Two, I forgot
to mention that I noticed that the heat problem (it's hard to miss if you
don't read the directions -- the units are almost hot enough to burn skin
:) and am using a laptop cooler for now. I'm trying out USB powered fans
as a better long term solution, but the units are very cool with the
laptop cooler.

>> Now my question is, what is going wrong? I've tried the same
>>config on multiple devices, so I don't think it's hardware. Could
>>my config have become corrupted?
>
> I don't follow your logic about it not being the hardware, but yes, your
> config could have become corrupted. Try another CF card? Try installing
> from
> scratch and restoring a backup xml file?
Well, pfSense recommends the Tranquilnet hardware and the problem occurs
with that. The problem also occurs with the units from the manufacturer
which have the same part number and look identical. These units have a
backup XML file restored to a fresh CF card. Sorry for not mentioning this
in my first message -- I was kind of tired.

I was trying to say that maybe something in the .xml config might have
become corrupted, but I took a look at the .xml file and it doesn't look
like there's room for corruption. The only thing strange is this:

        <revision>
                <time>1407542644</time>
                <description><![CDATA[admin@192.168.182.10:
/system_usermanager.php made