> On Dec 19, 2014, at 18:07, Volker Kuhlmann <list0...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> pf tables can be populated from FQDNs through pfsense aliases. However
> the FQDNs are not re-evaluated and pf tables are not updated after
> applying changes to the aliases or filter rules, creating confusion when
> setting up rules. The update only happens eventually when the filterdns
> background process gets around to it.

Every time alias is changed, a HUP signal is sent do filterdns [1], and it
triggers it to read config again and update aliases.

> Is there a way to run a command that does an update immediately, while
> the problem is being fixed?
>
> filterdns is run as
>
> /usr/local/sbin/filterdns -p /var/run/filterdns.pid -i 300 -c
> /var/etc/filterdns.conf -d 1
>
> and expects a config file as minimum argument.
>
> However it always starts up a new instance that keeps running. Is it
> possible to tell it to terminate after one update iteration, or do I
> need to write a script that kills it after 10 seconds? Thanks.

Could you let me know the steps to have multiple filterdns instances running? I
couldn’t reproduce it here.

[1] https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/blob/RELENG_2_2/etc/inc/filter.inc#L394
--
Renato Botelho