This latest time, I did it overnight and did not keep track of the re-install time.

FWIW

Bob G

On 03/18/2015 02:24 PM, compdoc wrote:

I updated to 2.2.1 yesterday without removing installed packages, and after the reboot it took only a few minutes to install them (just snort, pfblockerng, and squid) on a AMD 5350 AM1 apu.

There was one problem - the webgui stopped responding afterwards, and I rebooted pfSense one more time with ssh to make it work again.

Been running fine ever since. But had it not, I would have reinstalled from scratch and restored a backup.

*From:*List [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org] *On Behalf Of *Ryan Clough
*Sent:* Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:15 PM
*To:* pfSense Support and Discussion Mailing List
*Subject:* Re: [pfSense] "Packages are currently being reinstalled in the background." since last night... nothing showing on the console...

The documentation for updating pfSense firmware recommends noting and removing all installed packages before updating[1]. Then, after a successful update, reinstall the packages that were noted. I have had very good success using this method however, I updated to 2.2.1 last night without removing installed packages and after the reboot it took about 2 hours for my Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz with a 7200RPM pfSenseMirror to complete the package re-installation. Other than a little hiccup with Sarg; all is well. I would, if you can, just wait it out.

[1] https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Upgrade_Guide

Ryan Clough
Information Systems
Decision Sciences International Corporation <http://www.decisionsciencescorp.com/>