On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Volker Kuhlmann <hid...@paradise.net.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed 27 Jul 2016 13:40:16 NZST +1200, Chris Buechler wrote:
>
> > > I find this really really annoying of pfsense! Especially for headless
> > > systems. Hey, why run with only one interface and some functionality
> > > missing when one can run with functionality of zero point zero instead?
> >
> > Because any fall back there is potentially unsafe. Say you have
> > igb0-igb5, and igb2 dies. Now your igb3 is igb2, igb4 is igb3, etc.
> > Any assumptions you make about what's correct are potentially
> > dangerous, and likely to be wrong. We've had discussions around that
> > in greater depth multiple times over the years. Any way you do it has
> > edge case bugs, is dangerous and/or wouldn't be right anyway.
>
> So the root cause of the problem is not to be able to bind pfsense
> interfaces to ports (whether this is the OS's fault or not is not
> something a user cares about).
>
> In my case the USB interface runs the wifi. I can do without that
> easily. But not getting access to pfsense on the LAN port on a headless
> APU-4 because the USB dongle is unplugged, dead, or whatever and
> therefore my wifi may be offline sure does look braindead to me. Sorry.
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header.
> http://volker.top.geek.nz/      Please do not CC list postings to me.

Problem is that all of the current OS do this sort of renumbering (I'd have
to check, but I think it could be a hardware/driver issue). IIRC Linux
systems have had this sort of problem in even greater measure than the
BSDs. The plug and play nature of USB has caused issues for most systems
(drive letter changes on Windows, device name changes on Linux, even BSD
has started doing this). The brain dead here is problem that extends to the
PC industry as a whole. PFSense is subject bad decisions that were made
decades ago by other companies without enough vision. The automapping ideas
in hardware were not properly thought out and software didn't think it
though either.

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis