Map interfaces based on mac and give them a name. Then adress the
interfaces based on that name. When it comes to reorganization of
interfaces the answer is; don't do it. Let the user remap interfaces
manually only. If the user wants to drop their DMZ to get wan back online
then it should be a manual process.
In order to accomplish this you need a interface database and a simple
interface setup process with a foreach loop. This code was done in 2007 but
it was never comitted.

Ifconfig allows naming of interfaces. So once they are named and mac->name
binding is done, then the binding is remebered "forever" in a config file.
If a new interface is added and not found in the mac->name "DB" it is just
placed in a unassigned state untill the user assigns it manually.

-lsf