I am willing to bet that factory default removes packages and just
sets factory default config file...lets look at git hub

https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=org%3Apfsense+factory+reset&type=Code

https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=org%3Apfsense+reset_factory_defaults&type=Code

*https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/blob/88fbd229e0d8fd9d2e2ba57c0c254bef23774393/src/etc/inc/config.lib.inc
Read the comments:
/* Remove all additional packages */
/* create conf directory, if necessary */
/* clear out /conf */
/* copy default configuration */

/*
Let write_config know that we are awaiting reload of the current config
to factory defaults. Either the system is about to reboot, throwing away
the current in-memory config as it shuts down, or the in-memory config
is about to be reloaded on-the-fly by parse_config.
In both cases, we want to ensure that write_config does not flush the
in-memory config back to disk.
*/

// If we need a reboot first then touch a different trigger file.

touch("/conf/trigger_initial_wizard_after_reboot")
touch("/conf/trigger_initial_wizard");
setup_serial_port();