Well, Jim, you are completely right - and as paranoid as I am normally :)

Here it is for INTERNAL use only - simply colleagues etc should not see all
old data
Idea was also to be able to make "a first cleanup" remotely before shipping
back to us e.g. from a office location.
Simply to be sure no personal data eg logs  / accounts / credentials are
left

Sure, in case of broken HW we need to remove /destroy SSD in any case

And - to be honest:
in general it would be really helpful to HELP/ANSWER a question, instead to
decline it by default.
The people have also thought about their idea before - if it foits not YOUR
requirements, may it fits THEIRS ;)

Cheers
Stephan