Well:

https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-5-and-aes-ni.html so we are talking
about 2.5 not 3.x ?

"While we’re not revealing the extent of our plans, we do want to give
early notice that, in order to support the increased cryptographic loads
that we see as part of pfSense verison 2.5, pfSense Community Edition
version 2.5 will include a requirement that the CPU supports AES-NI. On
ARM-based systems, the additional load from AES operations will be
offloaded to on-die cryptographic accelerators, such as the one found on
our SG-1000 <https://www.netgate.com/products/sg-1000.html>. ARM v8 CPUs
include instructions like AES-NI
<https://www.arm.com/files/downloads/ARMv8_Architecture.pdf> that can be
used to increase performance of the AES algorithm on these platforms."

Eero