To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Alphabetical Listing Buttons

On 06/07/12 10:05 (GMT+1000) Richard Czeiger apparently typed:

On that note, I'm sorry, but I haven't been convinced by the 'Alphabet as a
Table' view...
It just doesn't sit right. A table for me has to have **at least** two rows
and two columns.

Why?

Only one row or only one column is a list - sorry, but it's as simple as
that.

Two columns, multiple rows might even be replaced by a definitition list.
But one row can only be a list.

I don't believe data and list items are mutually exclusive in the HTML
spec, or in real life. Just because something can constitute a list
doesn't mean the items in the list cannot be data. So, before you let
the concrete set up around that opinion, and keeping in mind all the
user agents most of us are familiar with display each item in an
unstyled ul, ol or dl on its own row, ponder the very first sentence of
the HTML table spec, in particular, the 9th & 14th words:

"The HTML table model allows authors to arrange data -- text,
preformatted text, images, links, forms, form fields, other tables, etc.
-- into rows and columns of cells."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html

I scanned without success looking for a minimum required number of
columns or rows.
--
"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in
your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409