-----Original Message-----
From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media]
Sent: Wednesday, 27 September 2006 10:02 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: RE: [WSG] The usability of a frame-style layout

I don't really work on a site like this per se. I guess I am just looking
for an answer if the technology of the Internet shouldn't be used in a
different way than what we do at the moment. We currently design websites in
a very inconvenient way which forces users to always scroll back to the top
of the page before they can continue to a different page. Personally I feel
our minds are still stuck with designing for print and we haven't quite
understood yet how to design big amounts of information for the Internet.

> That only leaves the other area of the page which is
> contained in an overflow, there's not much point in this
> either as it's only
> going to serve to annoy your visitors as they're scrolling a view port
> inside the browser rather then the browser window itself.

Interesting point. In a way I see what you mean: users are accustomed to
having their scrollbar at a certain position of their screen. The question
is: would users be willing to accept scrollbars of different sizes and
positions in exchange for a menu that is available at all times? Perhaps we
would need a standard to ensure that the scrollbar of the content area is
always on the right hand side of the browser window...?

> suppose it does
> stop the navigation from scrolling off the screen but if
> that's really a
> concern then you're either not designing your page properly
> or trying to
> force the user to do something you shouldn't

Don't quite agree with you here. The way we design pages at the moment you
cannot prevent the menu to scroll off the screen. And there's no real way
for users to continue browsing other than getting back up to the menu. Of
course we can always put a text navigation at the bottom of the page, but
there are two problems with that:

1. Who says the user is at the very bottom of the page? There might be that
much information on the page that the user can't see the top or the bottom.

2. The text navigation at the bottom looks completely different to the menu
button at the top which the user clicked on in first place. This means the
user's mind has to switch between two different menus - that's not really
intuitive.