>>>Even better than using references is to encode the file as UTF-8 and just enter the real characters.

In ideal world, yes. Unfortunately I have to use entities because of legacy back-end scripts. I even wrote a small convertor[1] for this reason.

1. http://dmitry.baranovskiy.com/work/typo/

best regards,
Dmitry Baranovskiy

On 19/10/2006, at 1:29 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

James Oppenheim wrote:
A quick question. When marking up XHTML should I be using entity names or entity numbers? Is there a standard or best practice?

The correct terminology for "entity numbers" is "character reference", they are not entities.

Read this whole article which explains everything you need to know about them. Regarding the terminology, take note of the first and second comments, which point out a mistake I made in the article.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/10/char-refs

You'll find the answer to your specific question under the heading "External Entity References". Generally, you should avoid named entity references in XHTML if favour of numeric or hex character references.

http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/10/char-refs#charref-entity-ext

Even better than using references is to encode the file as UTF-8 and just enter the real characters.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/