Bruce wrote:
I have been following this with great interest.
What I have been considering (I know its been covered before) is putting a link at the top of the page,
go to text version
Go to menu

I would think that screen reader users would find that a good addition to be able to read an article in text only, and a shortcut to scan articles which also have brief title tags in addition to descriptive titles.

In my design content comes first already...

Hi Bruce, et al.

This is a study, albeit with a small sample size, done on source order and accessibility. I think it was done by the list owner (Russ/Maxdesign) so perhaps he could chip in if there's been any updates to it since I've seen it.

http://www.usability.com.au/resources/ozewai2005/

I wonder whether any of the conclusions that were drawn in the study, are still valid, or whether there has been further research to either supplement or contradict it? Specifically, one observation, "The majority of screen reader users EXPECT navigation to be presented before the content." [1], and the subsequent statement " Our research showed no clear overall PREFERENCE of source order" [2], seem to lead me to believe that there is no real reason to attempt to have layouts with the source order first. Rather than attempting to put content first (which seems to confuse inexperienced screen reader users [3]), I would be attempting to put structural labels, as suggested in [4].

I'd be interested to hearing from people with actual experience, and or research, since all my conclusions are arrived at second-hand.

Regards,
 - Rahul.

[1] http://www.usability.com.au/resources/ozewai2005/#section36
[2] http://www.usability.com.au/resources/ozewai2005/#section37