On 11/2/06, Frances Berriman wrote:
>I just meant mostly that the software - in my limited experience
>personally using it - seems difficult to use.

Hi Frances - no worries...

Yes, I would expect it to be difficult for you to use. Guess what?
(Forgive the generalizations about to be written) It is generally
difficult for new screen reader users too. They have motivation on their
side, though. They get used to it. Sometimes it is all they know, and
that is difficult for us to understand because our perceptions of the
web are so very different. I'm not saying that screen readers are
perfect, but they are an incredibly enabling technology that has evolved
over years to find ways to make sense of crappy web sites (you know, the
other 95% of sites that aren't founded on web standards and
accessibility)

>I'm hoping to learn more about how users REALLY use them when I attend
>Steve's live demo later this month!

A perfect plan of attack, IMO.

>I certainly didn't intend to come across as harsh to any party in my
>response, by the way.  I'm as keen as anyone to help in some way to
>improve people's experiences on the web.

I didn't think you did, but wanted to clarify - if there was something
that you thought was poor about them, then I wanted to know so that any
issues are brought forward, discussed and potentially resolved or
clarified. If you do think of anything, please do let me know... I'm all
ears! (and eyes)

Cheers,
Derek.
--
Derek Featherstone   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: +1 613-599-9784  1-866-932-4878 (toll-free in North America)