Good points...I'll try to clarify:

There may not be the ability to change the layout, but there are
"layout" considerations when developing desktop software. If you are
building a desktop application and drag and drop form fields (a
convenient example, I'll admit) their tab order is in the order in which
they were dragged on to the "form" or "stage" or
whatever-the-thing-is-called-in-your-situation. So, what do we do? We
make the layout more linear using the tabIndex property. The linear,
logical order is the equivalent to layout - it mimics to a certain
extent the logical visual layout that is apparent on through visual
grouping, proximity and similarity of style.

If tab index was all we were worried about, this discussion would be
over.  It goes way beyond that.  As you indicated, this example was a
bit contrived - even in the web, a document stripped of all supporting
files still maintains tab index.  The same cannot be said for the
implied importance a certain color scheme gives to an element.  If we
could 'notify' the screen readers that some specific DIV was
'important', 'ranked higher' or had 'new content', we have provided a
usable substitute to color alone.

I'm not following what you mean here (seriously!) - are you saying that
semantic structure doesn't exist in desktop applications? I'm not sure
how that applies here... Can you clarify?

I was attempting to draw the parallel with web documents stripped of
all styling methods and desktop apps stripped of layout context (if
that were possible).

If you have ever used Spy++ (an MS tool designed to show handle
references), you would see that even the simplest applications are
made up of many, nested objects that don't necessarily contribute to
the semantic meaning of the application (and in some cases contradict
it).

For example, a simple drop down list (like our SELECT tag) has it's
own window handle in the OS.  Is it a window to the user??? Absolutely
not.  Is it a window in the context of the application???  No. Does
this (on it's own) effectively convey what this control is for?? No.
Not very semantic (by definition, anyway).  Yet desktop screen readers
are fine with this type of hierarchy.

So to bring this example to the web (and to use my own contrived
example), let's say I have an dv / iframe / object floating (visually)
somewhere at the bottom of my web app that is delivering a custom
channel of information that's updated every minute or so, and it
briefly flashes when it updates.  What would be the harm in allowing
me to 'register' this tag with the screen reader as the 'Stock Quote
Feed' to give it some context????  And also, when it updates, I want
to the let the reader know via a raised event. I think the WHATWG
was/is considering something like this, but I'm surprised it has taken
this long.

I don't think the gap is as big as you think it might, to be honest.

Maybe not for web content sites that are document-centric to begin
with, but the web application world is not so easy to 'flatten'.  But
that's a topic for another day....

HTH,
Mike