It does depend on what server-side stuff you have available - I'm not
saying this is a bad idea, just that it is probably better done on the
server.

> JavaScript
> works nicely here because the HTML is going to be parsed and
> loaded into the
> DOM client side anyway.
Not for everyone - I do a lot of work in JavaScript, but it is
unavailable on 5 - 10% of clients.

> I also think what Thierry is
> proposing is a simple
> solution
Agreed

> which will degrade nicely if JavaScript is
> unavailable or turned
> off.
No it won't degrade, it will stop working.
This is more of a fix for broken presentation than an enhancement - an
abreviation should always be presented in full the first time that it is
usen in print, (with the abrev. following in brackets). I don't see any
reason why this is different on the web, though I admit it is not common
practice.

> You could fall back to the CSS styling of your
> abbreviations in that
> case.
This is not about styling.

> I also think this technique may also have value in the presentation of
> microformats as in vCard. You could put a little business
> card icon next to
> names which could show the contact information on a hover over.
Agreed, but that is a whole other idea, which I believe has already been
covered, and which is purely presentational.

> This is really not a print issue, since Thierry is dealing
> with an attribute
> in a tag (<abbr>) it wouldn't show up on a print out.
I haven't tried this technique yet, but someone has already stated that
since this manipulates the DOM it _will_ appear in print - the whole
point is that it would not have appeared without this script!

> similar instance is
> where print outs don't show the URL (href attributes) to links.
Which has been adressed frquently in the past, in a number of ways, with
good reason.

Regards,
Mike