They are flawed and stay flawed everyday. Get real Andreas.

Tim

On 24/01/2007, at 12:29 PM, Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matthew Smith
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2007 12:13 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] AIMIA finalists

Quoth Noah at 01/24/07 11:10...
Nothing bugs me more than a super-cool looking site
that shows off the ability of the artist who built it, yet
does nothing
for the idea, product or service it promotes.

Or, of course, breaks the law.  Accessibility is a legal
requirement in
Australia[1], although I get the impression that people keep
forgetting
this for some (convenient?) reason.

It is a law to implement accessibility into websites as much as reasonably
can be expected. That's a fine but important difference.

For example: you can reasonably expect government websites to be tested for accessibility before they launch (which from this discussion, I take it, has been done). However, I don't think you can reasonably expect for the website to be tested every day just to make sure accessiblity wasn't somehow screwed
up by administrators of the CMS.

Even though I am a strong supporter of accesibility, you have to also keep in mind that the idea of the AIMIA awards is to promote innovation in the field of multimedia (not just Internet). So let's assume somebody has got a great idea for a new online application. Let's also assume that this person doesn't have a clue about accessibility or web standards. Nonetheless they go ahead and build this amazing application which will change all of our lifes. They put this application up for the AIMIA awards, as it is truly an
innovative site, great graphics, but for the moment it's accessibility
compliance is just shocking.

Shouldn't this person have the right to win an award for their work even
though the site does not comply with web standards or accessibility
guidelines? If AIMIA would restrict entries just on the basis that they are not written to the liking of members of the WSG, they would miss out on a
large amount of innovative ideas.

Having said that, I agree that accessibility and usability should be
considered in the marking (probably even more so than it is at the moment)
and that of two sites that are evenly innovative the one that provides
accessibility and usability should be marked higher.

The Editor
Heretic Press
http://www.hereticpress.com
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]