I've been encountering this problem for months now on more that one site. As
it was previously mentioned; "wmode=transparent" does not work in Safari.

My decisions was that it still works once hovered on. Although it's not
pretty, the bottom line is that it functions...right?

Accept the problem -- It is still somewhat usable, right? :)

Until someone has the time to figure it out, I would suggest not designing