I mean exactly what I said

It has nothing to do with being well formatted.

When I modify a default page, or unmodified page on our wss, to
customize it, SPD will crash out.

It will not allow me to convert a webpart page to an xslt view. I need
to do one thing only to our website that requires SPD. I need to cerate
a rollup of calendar events of several subsites.

I am simply opening up an aspx document that has been created in wss.

I am not a web designer by trade; I maintain a simple intranet for our
company. I will look at webdav and Sharepoint Explorer Adding for VS,
but that means using V. I haven't done that yet, and I don't want to
learn an entire new package after learning how to use SPDWe are about to
implement NAV, so it needs to be fixed up a bit.

Cheers

Craig