On 30 Mar 2006, at 18:43, Jim Wickman wrote:

At 4:11 PM -0700 3/30/06, wsheluk wrote:

We need some "read me" instructions about the new feature from the author of LS.
~~~~~~~~~~

And not just the 'new' stuff. There's lots about LittleSnitch that is not explained -- beginning with the "App X want to connect to 123,456,789 - Ok? Deny?

Why can't Little Snitch do a whoiz or whatever it's called to decode that numerical URL into something more understandable on the fly?

There's lots about LS that assumes wsaaaay too much knowledge by some of us users. And don't tell me that for that reason I shouldn't use it.

It seems like you're asking for two different things here. A WHOIS lookup on an IP address will show you who "owns" that block of IP addresses. A reverse DNS lookup on an IP address will show you what DNS entry maps to that IP address. Little Snitch already does the latter but not all IP addresses map to DNS entries, hence the reason you sometimes see the dotted quads (e.g., 17.254.0.91) in LS's dialogs. If you wait a few seconds at LS's alert dialog and the reported IP address resolves to a domain name, LS will show you that name. Otherwise, if the hostname can't be determined for a given IP address, LS can do little but show you the IP address since it doesn't map to a name. This has been my experience with LS.

However, more robust reporting functionality would be nice to have as an advanced option.

-f

--
Derek Fong
Web Application Developer

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." --James Joyce