> I'm building as a hobby custom DVR -software for my personal (hobbies doesn't
> need to make sense right?) use and I've been trying to figure for months why
> I have TS Continuity Counter errors with live555MediaServer and my Set-top
> boxes player (same happens with VLC as a client so it's easier for me to get
> log from it if needed)
>
> So far, I've concluded that this has probably something to do with
> live555MediaServer because same TS CC errors happens also with when watching
> via VLC player. Playing same .ts recording directly from server's filesystem
> doesn't have any errors at playback.

Perhaps what you’re seeing is just packet loss?  Remember that you’re doing
real-time streaming (over RTP/UDP), not on-demand downloading (e.g., as you’d
do from a web server).  Also, when streaming a Transport Stream file, our
server simply packs the file contents - as is - into outgoing RTP packets.  It
doesn’t modify the Transport Stream data at all.

You can test this by using “openRTSP” <http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/> rather
than VLC as your client.  This will download a file (because you’re streaming
Transport Stream data, this will be a Transport Stream file), which you can
compare to the original.  You can also use the “-Q” command-line option to
“openRTSP” to get network ‘quality of service’ statistics - including packet
loss.

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/