I don't think we should start working on 3.0 any time soon, unless we have
to in order to support Java 9.

And I think we should make a 2.7 release really soon, and then more 2.x
releases after that.

Remember that many users haven't migrated from 1.2 yet.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ah, yes, Java 9... it just seems that we need to more clearly define what
> is public vs. not and an SPI package seems like nice neat way to do that.
> That said, it's a lot of busy work and I am not 100% it is worth it. I am
> waffling.
>
> Gary
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am nowhere near wanting to do 3.0. But we may want to do it for Java 9
>> depending on how disruptive that is.  That is one of the reasons I would
>> like to get moving on Java 9 asap.  I have a feeling we may want to
>> continue the 2.x releases while 3.x is going just for that reason.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> On Sep 15, 2016, at 9:46 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Should we start thinking about 3.0 where the main driver is to formalize
>> a Core SPI package?
>>
>> Doing this for 2.8 and break BC in Core would be too disruptive.
>>
>> Doing this for 2.8 and have a Core class implement a SPI interface where
>> the SPI interface inherits the old interface would be weird.
>>
>> Or, should we just keep on going as we have and keep Core BC a moving
>> target?
>>
>> We could wait to do more 2.x releases and accumulate more deprecated code
>> (Builders vs factory methods for example).
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> --
>> E-Mail: garydgreg...@gmail.com | ggreg...@apache.org