At 15:54 12.12.2002 -0800, Mark Womack wrote:
> One possible one-shot-kill-all-birds solution is to use the JNDI
> space. See the updated version of http://www.qos.ch/logging/sc.html
> (in particular JNDIRS). What do you think?
>
> I also suggested the JNDI solution in commons-dev in a somewhat
> different context. It seemed to be well received.
First, it should be noted that "one-shot-kill-all-birds solution" was
meant metaphorically. Birds are wonderful beings that should not be
harmed. In general no animals should be harmed except perhaps
mosquitoes. (I don't like mosquitoes.)

Should we consider adding the JNDIRS to v1.3 of log4j in a/the selectors
package?
Yes, we can reasonably do that. However, I am unsure about the
maturity of any of these approaches without proper
testing/analysis. Consequently, we should include these selectors
assuming that they are visibly marked as experimental. Their inclusion
might spur Container developers to refine the selectors in a way
only they can given their intimate knowledge of their own Container.

For example, according to Adrian Brock (a key JBoss developer), JNDIRS
will not work for MBeans because MBeans do not have a reserved JNDI
java:/comp context. With his knowledge of JBoss, he came up with quite
a complete, albeit sophisticated, solution. This was during a face to
face conversation. I did not jot down the solution and I can't even
begin to remember what it was.

I am afraid that none of the selectors we propose in log4j proper will
be universally applicable to all J2EE containers. Container developers
will have to provide some level of support on their own. However, we
can show part of the solution, letting Application servers/Web
containers to fill in the rest.

Coming back to the question, yes, we should create o.a.l.selectors but
not ship it as part of the official distribution as the proposed
selectors may be half-baked. Half-baked solutions eventually boomerang
causing more harm than good.

(I hope the above is not too confused.)

-Mark
--