On Oct 14, 2013, at 7:31 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The current idea I have is that the XML Schema would reflect exactly
> the code that is running. We should start with that. AFAIK, the
> current code we have does not allow open-ended XML fragments, but I
> could be wrong...
>
> Gary

Of course it allows open-ended XML fragments.  If the user provides their own
Appender as a plugin they are free to create other plugins that the Appender
can then reference.  The same is true for Filters, Lookups, etc.
XMLConfiguration and JSONConfiguration don't care about specific element names
- only that they map to a defined plugin.  So any scheme you come up with to
generate a fully strict schema would have to be able to account for user
defined plugins.