What does your server look like? Specifically, how many cores? Are they hyper
threaded? How much memory?

If you don’t have YourKit or some other profiler installed to identify the
bottleneck, one of my favorite tricks is to just take several thread dumps
10-15 seconds apart and then compare them. If they consistently show the same
piece of code being executed then that is likely a bottleneck.

Ralph