Are you using Log4j 2.10?
The reason I’m asking is that the 2.10 release contains a fix for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2031.

Prior to 2.10, there was a possibility that log events ended up out of order in
the log when you’re using async loggers or async appender and the appender
could not keep up with the logging rate. Once the queue is full, previous
versions of Log4j2 would bypass the queue and log directly to the appender.

From 2.10, this only happens if Log4j2 determines there’s a risk for deadlock,
otherwise the thread will enqueue the log event (possibly blocking until space
is available in the queue).

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info