* Paul Makepeace ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 10:12:37PM +0000, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> > the only thing that gives potential for the marketing of a language is the
> > projects that are achieved using it and java has a hell of a lot more cool
> > projects than perl
>
> I've been playing with Akopia ne' MiniVend/Tallyman which of course is
> written in perl and certainly from a functionality point of view it's
> very, very cool and is a serious-weight app.

but this is server side, and while Perl is currently on level terms for
server side stuff with more and more of the fresh faced grads coming out,
abominations such as EJBs look like a good idea

take my weekends work, i just finished writing a java program that
will run on a mobile phone, ok this is a very specific field of interest, but
in a few months when i get the prototype device i'll be like a kid on
christmas day seeing the software run on it - before i get run out of town
i would say that the server side is written in Perl, but it is unlikely
that the server side software in production would ever be written in Perl

> Like it not, Matt Wright's stuff is a perl success story if
> only from a bums-on-seats PoV...

i agree with this as well, it comes back to issues of elegance/beauty/quality
vs. getting the job down - this is why Visual Basic is a good product

--
Greg McCarroll                          http://www.mccarroll.uklinux.net