-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Greg are you trolling? If so let me play ;)

>> the only thing that gives potential for the marketing of a language
is the
>> projects that are achieved using it and java has a hell of a lot
more cool
>> projects than perl

>What are these mysterious cool java projects that no-one's been
telling
>me about?

Fortay's a good example. A Java IDE written in Java, and under Linux
it's pretty quick even on 64 MB ram.

IBM developerworks and Alphaworks have tftp and dhcp servers in Java.
I wouldn't run them though :)

>I think the best thing people can do for the language is create good
things
>and modules and whatever using it.

I agree but I also think that this is one of the problems, the only
people who see the modules are other perl coders. I'm not saying that
modules are a bad thing or a waste of effort, I'd hate to think about
writing the code for half of the modules I use on a regular basis but
the only people who really understand and use them are perl coders,
people who know that perl is good. I think Greg means making something
a little more visible, How many netusers see the powered by python
logo on mailman each day? Whats our answer to that? Slashcode?

Plying devils advocate is fun.
    Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand.
   ---  Anon