On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 02:29:38PM +0000, Simon Wistow wrote:
> How would the user get round this? I mean sure they could if they had
> access to the source code but ...
>

> I'm writing something at the moment that's got lots of
>

> sub do_summat
> {
>       my ($self, $userid, $arg1, $arg2) = @_;
>
>       return access_denied('do_summat') unless (grep {/^$userid$/}
> $self->acl->{do_summat});
> }
>
> so this was just a way of automating that.

I think I misunderstood you before. I thought you were trying
to restrict what could be done by code which uses your module.
Obviously that's not what you're doing; because in the code
above, anyone could pass in any userid (not necessarily their own).

OTOH, if your program is running locally then it can't do
anything that the user couldn't do directly anyway (unless
it's SUID, which is too frightening to contemplate). So
presumably it's some sort of network-available service.

I think I see where you're coming from now. Sorry for the
confusion.

 .robin.

--
"Have you been certain you came to me the real reason explain anything
else that I came to you the real reason explain anything else that I