On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Greg McCarroll wrote:

> As for working at home, i believe the optimal week is mon,tue in
> the office, wednesday at home, thu,fri in the office. YMMV
>
> however - if you were building a company their are other concerns
> beyond productivity, the establishment of a team/company spirit
> and bonding for instance. also the discussion of strategy on
> non-IT matters in the company, building a company as has been
> discussed requires buy in to issues beyond perl hacking.

I don't see why you can't have a mix - it would be good to have a core
group of people who always (nearl) work in the office so that if you
usually work from home but need some face 2 face there will be people
there (or in a pub nearby). things like IRC and email provide good
communication about what is going on and can be used to acounce when and
where people are.

If you know what proportion of home/office people you have you can design
the office accordingly. For instance I quite simply do not aarive at work
before 10 am due to th physical impossibility of moving from a to b in
west london between 7 and 9 am.

Other important factors are eating your own dogfood - ie not only use our
own software but analys the needs of your own organisation and keep your
house in order - it gets you into a better habit and methodology - things
like document management, documentation, online admin, internet and stuff
most of which can be reused for clients, and keeping the work interesting
productivity is highest if the work is interesting - always make sure you
have enough people and time to develop more than you firefight - this
means your develop better software as you have more resources and aren't
sick of the project and you have to firefight less and less avoiding the
vicious circles that many companies fall into of firefighting all the time
and losing morale and inetrst and producing shit code which needs more
firefighting.

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty"> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a