David Cantrell sent the following bits through the ether:

> But there are alternatives.  Does anyone here have any comments on
> Perforce or Clearcase?  Needless to say, both companies have crap websites
> with no useful documentation and a tonne of marketing arse.

I've used Perforce previously, and it's pretty nice, if costly for a
commercial project (free for open source, iirc). I've heard good
things about Aegis[1] which now has a Perl interface (cue Blackstar
folks who use it) but I'm not sure about it - it seems too, um,
different. On the whole I think CVS is Good Enough, and I hate RCS.

Leon

[1] http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/aegis/aegis.html