On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:35:25AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:05:18AM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:11:13PM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > > I don't suppose anyone else chose 'root' as their primary account
> > > name during install?
> > >
> > > I did and am wondering if this is why my OS X installation is totally
> > > hosed & useless: I can't open folders in my (own!) Home (Insufficient
> >
> > That would be it. Root on Mac OS X is a special user that by default isn't
> > enabled and doesn't have a home directory, etc.
> >
> > You probably need to re-install and choose a normal user name. This user will
>
> What, how about bin? Or mail? Or daemon? :-)
>
> OS X really shouldn't've let me use a system name. Doh!

Remember, OS X is an operating system especially designed for idi^H^H^Hmummies
and daddies.[1]

They are just going to put in their name. And why do you think /bin is hidden
in the finder? It would be the first thing to go in the trash if it wasn't.

Neil.

[1] obviously plagariesed reference. Anyone? ;-)

--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited