On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:11:13PM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> I don't suppose anyone else chose 'root' as their primary account
> name during install?
>
> I did and am wondering if this is why my OS X installation is totally
> hosed & useless: I can't open folders in my (own!) Home (Insufficient

That would be it. Root on Mac OS X is a special user that by default isn't
enabled and doesn't have a home directory, etc.

You probably need to re-install and choose a normal user name. This user will
be set up as an administrator and have pretty good access rights. For easy
access you can do 'sudo tcsh' or if you want to enable root via
Applications|Utilities|NetInfo - it's a menu option.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
Managing Director, Yet Another Computer Solutions Company Limited