Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> > agreed it is a dumb thing, especially if your nameserver
> > doesnt have a name to lookup ....
>
> Erm!!?!? How exactly were you planning to point anything at it? an NS
> RR requires an authoritative name as it's RHS.

Note what Robin replied to:

> nslookup does a rather dumb thing:  it tries to lookup the reverse DNS
> for the nameserver it's about to use.  Apart from being a waste of
> time, failure to find the name means it will refuse to query that
> nameserver.

Having a name is one thing; being able to find out that name with reverse
DNS is another. So if ns.example.com is 192.168.47.11 but there's no PTR
record for 11.47.168.192.in-addr.arpa, you have a name server with a name
but one that you can't use reverse DNS to look up the name for.

Or what do you mean with "an authoritative name" -- does that mean a name
that reverses to itself?

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.