> > Yes, it's useful. I like nslookup. (Plus I feel that dig is pretty verbose,
> > but maybe there's a flag to control that that I've been too lazy to look
> > for.)
>
> I guess it depends on application.  If you need to know the nuts and bolts
> of a query, use dig.  If you only need a quick resolution use host.
>
> The problem (for me anyways) was that what you asked for from nslookup need
> not be what it returned.  You would ask it to query one nameserver and it would
> for no apparent reason ignore your request and use nameservers in your
> resolve file.

nslookup does a rather dumb thing:  it tries to lookup the reverse DNS
for the nameserver it's about to use.  Apart from being a waste of
time, failure to find the name means it will refuse to query that
nameserver.

nslookup is a throwback to 1970's UNIX bollocks, as is the whole of
the BIND distribution.  If you have to use anything from BIND, host
and dig are at least somewhat consistent....