* at 17/04 14:09 +0100 Mark Fowler said:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Struan Donald wrote:
> > surely there should be a better way than this? after all the
> > combinations involved are quite numerous. is the notion of something
> > that does :
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > if [ -e /usr/bin/perl ]; then
> >     exec './bin_perl.pl'
> > fi
> >
> > or equivalent too silly? although not sure this sort of thing is possible
> > on non unix type systems. OTOH would at least cut down the number of
> > files that the person installing needs to worry about.
>
> I don't particularly see the number of scripts this person is installing
> as a problem.  The key concept is that these scripts are designed so that
> someone who knows *nothing* about their system can basically upload them
> all then see which one works.  Once they've got this script working the
> script should contain instructions on how to modify any of the
> other scripts to work with their server.

it's not so much the number of scripts as the "try each of these
scripts till one works" situation i think we should be trying to
minimise.

> I don't think what you're suggesting will work at all on windows.  Or pure
> mod_perl...

true. although the number of people using mod_perl who'll be using
these is debatable. windows is a problem though.

> Feel free to disagree, I'm just suggesting ideas here.  Honestly, I'm not
> sure what's the best way...

heck, anything that helps is better than the "your isp will know"
school of help.

struan