On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:51:59PM +0100, Chris Heathcote wrote:
> on 25/4/01 5:25 pm, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
> > If you read
> > the small print they threaten to disconnect service if whois info isn't
> > accurate. Pity you have to supply perfect info for spammers.
>
> I think that's fair, like accepting mail to postmaster@, hostmaster@,
> webmaster@ etc. It's not like email addresses are in short supply.

What I meant, it's a pity a legitimate 'Net facility is abused for
the purposes of direct marketing rather than its original aim which
is to get into contact with the domain owner for some technical,
billing or administrative reason. By providing my name in whois I am
not declaring my interest in $29.95 Religious PhDs...

NetSol have openly declared they sell to direct marketers which is
particularly shameless and despicable. At least with these other guys
you know you're entering a Faustian pact.

Paul