On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 04:05:21PM +0100, Jonathan Peterson wrote:

> The average bottom rung mechanic knows as much about cars as the average
> bottom rung tech support guy knows about computers.

Okay. I know very little of the vehicle maintenance industry, so it was
a poor choice of analogy, but I hold to the rough point - there are too
many organisations (notably schools, as well as companies) pushing
excessive technical responsibilities onto unqualified and inexperienced
staff.  It's not fair on (a) the staff, (b) the rest of the organisation
(c) others affected through poor security (private/personal information
leakage, network abuse...)

...and arguably

(d) unemployed BOFHs.

Martin